Studioplex, the live/work community in Atlanta’s historic Old Fourth Ward, will host its next ‘Fourth Fridays’ monthly Art Walk on Friday, May 28 from 6-9 p.m. These monthly Art Walks at Studioplex are free and open to the public. Highlights include:
* Grand opening of ABV (A Better View – http://www.abvatl.com/), a creative agency and gallery space founded by artist Greg Mike and featuring the work of Krk Ryden who curated “The Panelists,” a group show featuring 16 artists who each created two eight foot comic book pages. Artists include Mark Mothersbaugh, Mitch O’Connell and Anthony Ausgang, as well as Niagara, The Pizz, Spain, Mats?!, Mark George, Zoey Stevens, Luster Kaboom, Janelle Hessig, Russ Pope, Robin Footitt, Jon Haddock and Joshua Ellingson.
* Internationally renowned glass jeweler Kathleen Plate of Smart Glass Jewelry (http://www.smartglassjewelry.com) will present a selection from her line of handcrafted jewelry. Using a combination of vibrantly colored stained glass, silver solder and sterling silver, Kathleen makes every single piece by hand.
* Atlanta native Shinekia Thomas, a professor of Fashion Design at SCAD-Atlanta as well as a fashion designer who is launching her women’s wear collection in Paris during the Couture Fashion Week July 2-16, will present her large fashion paintings that depict the mood and subject of each collection (Artist Gallery G-9-11);
* Jack Art Gallery (www.JackArtGallery.com) will present “freshstart”, a new exhibit featuring fresh new works by four emerging artists: Mister Friday, Kenneth Starr, Shellton LaBron Tremble and Neal Woods. Proceeds from this exhibit will benefit the Seventh & Sourou Gentlemen’s Academy, a charter school focused on providing educational opportunities for minority males in Atlanta (Pavilion – Suite 503, next to Serpas);
* Matthew Mayes (http://www.facebook.com/amayesn76) is an abstract painter and furniture designer. He will unveil his furniture designs during the Art Walk;
* Artist Craig Henderson of “Jass Art” who recently relocated from New York will present his portraits of well known people that are “full of color and life”;
* Lorikay Stone of Lorikay Photography (www.LorikayPhotography.com) will show her work, featuring black and white and colorful abstract art work in the Law Offices of Mathew T. McNally (Loft 153);
* Drea James (www.dreajames.com) features spotlight stealing, one-of-a-kind jewelry by local designer Jenn Green, which includes vintage, bridal and commissions for that special outfit or occasion;
* Jason Carl’s silk scarf collection is the right combination of high fashion style and versatility. Beautiful patterns and textures make these pieces truly wearable art. The unique construction and length allows for more than 10 different ways to wear them!;
* Princess and Butch will showcase their line of interchangeable art buckles featuring Lorikay Stone’s photographic abstract pieces along with their fabulous line of unique papers and vintage fabrics;
* Angie Wehunt of Angie’s Folk HeARTs (www.AngiesFolkhearts.com) invites guests to come and experience the love with which she pours into each painting. Her mixed media works of hearts and flowers are expressed in colorful abstracts and minimalist black and whites;
* Philisa Hair Studio will feature the art of Phil Dale and jewelry by their daughter Angelique Dale (Loft 132);
* Janke Studios (www.jankestudios.com), Atlanta’s premier glassblowing studio, will present its collection of unique hand blown glass objects (Studio G-9); and
* Sculptor Lisa Mathews (www.ArtistLM.com) and her collection of polymer clay work which focuses on Africa and African American culture (Loft #237).
A number of other galleries and lofts will be open during the ‘Fourth Fridays’ Art Walk.
Art lovers and collectors are invited to enjoy a complimentary glass of wine, discover exciting new artists in the heart of Atlanta and listen to a DJ spin his favorite tunes. The next Art Walk at Studioplex will take place on Friday, June 25, 6-9 pm.