ATHICA Mystery Triennial: small works by more than 120 signature Athens artists, all displayed anonymously.
I. WHAT IS THE ATHICA Mystery Triennial?
– It is a fun and unique exhibition where works by more than 120 Athens artists are displayed, all in one space, at one time.
– All works were created in the same 5.5″ x 8.5″ size, both 2-D & 3-D.
– All works will be displayed anonymously.
– The mystery artists’ identities will be revealed initially only to those who acquire pieces by donating to ATHICA. A donation of $60 gets you one work and $100 gets two.
– Just think, if you know your Athens’ artists you might snag a work by the likes of R.E.M., Mary Porter or Art Rosenbaum–and for considerably less than it would sell for in a commercial setting.
– For a donation of $10 you can attend the first hour of the reception and get “first dibs” on these signature Athenian works.
II. WHAT MYSTERY ARTISTS WILL YOU SEE?
Prominent painters include:
June Ball, Scott Belville, Jill Carnes, Carol John, Andrew Cayce, Toby Cole, Joe Havasy, Jonathan Jacquet, Judith McWillie, Mary Porter, Lea Purvis, Greg Benson, Bob and Claire Clements, Christopher Hocking, Jeremy Hughes and Anthony Wislar.
Brilliant collagists and mixed-media artists such as:
Dana Jo Cooley, Cindy Jerrell, Jillian Guarco, Alexei Gural, Peter Loose and Rosemary Mendocino are all contributing works.
Many of the artists are closely associated with Athens music–with a lovely and mysterious work contributed by R.E.M.–as well as works by:
Nina Barnes, Vanessa Briscoe Hay, Laura Carter and Ben Reynolds.
Photographers the caliber of:
Carl Martin, Mark Steinmetz, Rinne Allen, Jason Thrasher, Michael Lachowski, Michael Marshall, Margo Rosenbaum and Robyn Waserman are all on board.
Conceptual artists such as:
Didi Dunphy, Hope Hilton, Brian Hitselberger, Cal Clements, Michael Oliveri, Kathryn Refi and Paul Thomas are donating works.
Expert fabric artists such as:
Elizabeth Barton and Rene Shoemaker have crafted works especially for the
Well-known sculptors and small metals artists such as:
Jim Buonaccorsi, Ken Kase, Jim Norton, Andy Nasisse, LeeAnn Mitchell, Noah Saunders and Krysia Haag have been hard at work making wonderful works.
Fabulous draftsmen and printmakers such as:
Amanda Burk, Nancy Carter, David Hale, Hannah Jones, Rich Panico, Melissa Harshman, Jon Swindler, Kim Deakins have produced works for the exhibit.
And even our some of our best-known locally-grown cartoonists:
Missy Kulik, Patrick Dean and Drew Weing are throwing their hat in the ring.
Lucky audiences just need to come and get it!
III. OTHER FUN ASPECTS OF THE ATHICA Mystery Triennial
– For a donation of $10 Don Byram Fine Art Framers will provide an elegant black frame with mat for any unframed works, available on or after Closing Day with your acquisition pick-up, with half the proceeds benefiting ATHICA.
– For a donation of $2 you can enter the ‘Who Dunnit’ Contest and show-off your knowledge of Athens’ artists by identifying the mystery artists.
– Those whose ‘Who Dunnit’ quizzes score the highest will be given official ‘I-Knew Who-Dunnit’ pins on closing day, as well as gift certificates from local businesses like Advanced Massage Therapies and Don Byram Fine Art Framers.
-Which mystery artists’ works’ are whose will be revealed to the general public on Closing Day.
-People’s Choice and Board Awards of the artists to be included in the Selections from the ATHICA Mystery Triennial exhibit will also be announced on Closing Day.
– All donations will help fund ATHICA’s future programming, and are partially tax deductible, as ATHICA is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
AFFILATED EVENTS SCHEDULE:
Saturday, August 20
7-8 p.m.: ‘First Dibs’ with $10 donation
8-9:30 p.m.: Free Entry
Refreshments donated by Five and Ten, Ted’s Best Food and other fine establishments.
Sunday August 28th
Mystery Triennial Benefit Concert Series:
Kate Morrissey and Marty Winkler
– $10 Suggested Donation
Thursday, Sept. 15th
-Last Chance to cast your People’s Choice Award ballot:
Nominate your favorite Mystery Artist to be included in the
Fall ATHICA exhibit: Selections from the ATHICA Mystery Triennial
-Last Chance to enter the ‘Who Dunnit’ Contest.
Enjoy a performance on the porch by:
Local consummate Canopy Studio performers Ann Lily-Woodruff & Vince Walzberg.
Door Prizes! Free Entry!
Sunday, September 18th
– Reveal of artists identities
– ‘Who Dunnit?’ Contest winners announced!
– People’s choice and Board choice for award winners for
October’s Selections from the ATHICA Mystery Triennial exhibit announced.
Through Sept. 18.
ATHICA: Athens Institute for Contemporary Art, Inc.
160 Tracy Street, Unit 4
Athens, GA 30601 USA